Monday, September 28, 2009

Two Strikes and Crappy Movies (warning: griping)

I'm feeling my two strikes today: unemployment and broken ankle. Either is enough to bum one out and I'm feeling both today. I have plenty to do and I've even managed to check some items off the list, but plodding has happened. I had to register the kiddo for stuff to do when school is out, which entailed fighting with one of the more annoying online shopping cart systems and  remembering that her school is not on the exact same schedule as the school district where we live. So, now I have to figure out what to do with her for those days. Yes, I'm unemployed, but full consecutive days with my sweet babygirl is exhausting for both of us.



Crappy movies. I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do, so I went through the online queue and found "You Don't Mess With the Zohan." Now, I like Adam Sandler movies. I think I lose some girl cred for it, but "Big Daddy" was funny. I even liked "Little Nicky." "Zohan" sucked for two reasons: 1) it was several jokes over and over and over (Israeli counterterrorist superman who does something "gay," his pants are crammed full of something continually thrust into other characters' faces, he likes having sex with old women) and 2) it was over two hours of these stupid jokes. Two hours!!!! Oy.


The other one was 1980's "Foxes." Originally titled "Twentieth Century Foxes," the title was changed to "Foxes" out of fear of a lawsuit from the movie studio. It's a somewhat well-known film because it stars Jodie Foster and Cherie Currie. We all know who Jodie Foster is and we knew who she was in 1980 because of her controversial role as a 14-year-old prostitute in "Taxi Driver." When Currie was 16, she became a member of The Runaways with Joan Jett, Lita Ford, Sandy West and Jackie Fox. The Runaways are credited as the first all-girl band to prove they were more than a marketing stunt. Quite simply, they rocked. 


But this isn't about The Runaways. That was a tangent off of "Foxes." Possibly an important film in 1980 for its subject matter (adolescent girls doing grown-up things), it hasn't held up very well. The characters were annoying and the story wasn't enough to sustain my attention. I say all of this with the awareness that my comments are filtered through 30 years of film history, but I really didn't like it. 

I gotta go. Cash Cab is on.


No comments:

Post a Comment